Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tailgate Party Salad

This past weekend, we went to a tailgate cookout in our town. Each family was to bring a dish to share with others. A few weeks ago, I had made a similiar salad to the one listed below but for the life of me, I could not remember where I found the receipe. So I recreated it..it turned out pretty good...thought I would share with you the "tailgate party salad".

1 bunch/head raw broccoli
1 bunch/head cauliflower flowerets
1 c. raw pumpkin seeds (you could use sunflower seeds)
1 lb. bacon, browned crisp
1/2 of an onion, cut very finely

1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1 c. mayo
2 tbsp. white vinegar

Wash broccoli and cauliflower, trim off heavy stalks and use the tender flowerets for this salad. Cut onion into thin slices and then finely chop into small pieces. Add pumpkin/sunflower seeds. Toss together. Add grated cheese. Stir mayo and vinegar together until creamy; add to the vegetables. Stir well and top with bacon, then refrigerate.